Genoa (population 650,000), the capital city of the Italian Riviera and one of the largest ports in Europe, is located in the northwestern part of the Country. It has always been an important cultural and artistic center, with a history dating from Roman times. Until the Napoleonic wars, the Republic of Genoa was a major political player in Southern Europe, rivalling with the Republic of Venice for trade and economic control of the Eastern shores of the Mediterranean.
The University of Genoa and its School of Medicine
The University of Genoa is the main institution of higher learning of our Region. With a student population of over 35,000 and a Faculty of 2380, it is one of the main academic institutions in Italy. The Medical Faculty was founded in the XV century as a College with four medical chairs, which was attached to the Pammatone hospital located in the medieval area of town. Circa 1930, the hospital services were transferred to the San Martino district, 2 km east of the center.
The Faculties of Medicine and Pharmacy merged in 2011 to create the new Scuola di Scienze Mediche e Farmaceutiche.
The XVII-century building of the Rectorate of the University of Genoa was originally a Jesuits’ college.
The main lecture hall in the University building.
Visit the sick. A view of old Pammatone Hospital by Cornelis de Wael (circa 1640).
Our Scuola now covers over 95,000 sqm of hospital space, laboratories, teaching and sports facilities, libraries, and offices. It offers courses not only in Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry, but also courses in 22 health professions, such as nursing, physiotherapy, and midwifery. There are about 40 postgraduate courses in medical specialities, several PhD and master programs, which are offered in Italian and in English. The Scuola also includes a Sport Academy, which has been recently transferred to the new campus in Savona, a town 50 km from Genoa. The School of Medicine and Pharmacy shares its clinical facilities with the San Martino Regional Hospital and the Gaslini Pediatric Hospital, one of the most prestigious in Europe. We maintain a strong scientific cooperation with the CNR (National research Council of Italy), and the Italian Institute of Technology, which is located 7 km from our main campus. Our strong point, in addition to teaching state-of-the-art clinical practice, is our remarkable research activity in basic sciences such as biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, oncology, and neurosciences, which makes the School of Medicine and Pharmacy one of the most productive in Italy in terms of publications and research grants.
The main campus of our School of Medicine with the San Martino Hospital. The red arrows points to the Erasmus office in the administrative building.
The main building of the San Martino clinical center.